Đối với những thí sinh trong giai đoạn ôn luyện cho kỳ thi IELTS, chủ đề Work luôn là một trong những chủ đề phổ biến và thường xuyên xuất hiện trong các kỳ thi IELTS. Để giúp bạn thêm tự tin trong việc giao tiếp cũng như đạt được điểm số cao trong kỳ thi IELTS, hãy cùng IELTS Thanh Loan tham khảo bộ từ vựng về chủ đề Work dưới đây ngay nhé!
Phân loại công việc – Types of work
1, manual jobs /ˈmæn.ju.əl/ ~ to work with your hands
- Định nghĩa: a person whose job involves physical work
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: công việc lao động chân tay
- Ví dụ: Many people enjoy manual jobs like carpentry or gardening because they get to work with their hands.
2, temporary work /ˈtem.pər.ər.i wɜːk/
- Định nghĩa: an employment situation where the working arrangement is limited to a certain period of time.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: công việc tạm thời
- Ví dụ: Through this stream, the candidates are issued a temporary work permit to start their business.
3, voluntary work /ˈvɒl.ən.tər.i wɜːk/
- Định nghĩa: work that is done by the aid of volunteers
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: công việc tình nguyện
- Ví dụ: She does voluntary work for the Red Cross two days a week.
4, nine-to-five job
- Định nghĩa: describing or relating to work that begins at nine o’clock in the morning and finishes at five, the hours worked in many offices from Monday to Friday
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: việc làm giờ hành chính
- Ví dụ: He didn’t understand people who had nine-to-five jobs.
5, part-time jobs /ˌpɑːtˈtaɪm/ >< full-time jobs
- Định nghĩa: If you work part-time or do part-time work, you work for only some of the day or the week >< something that takes a lot of your time
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: công việc bán thời gian >< công việc toàn thời gian
- Ví dụ: Finding the right insurance for your needs is a full-time job.
6, a desk job /ˈdesk ˌdʒɒb/
- Định nghĩa: a job working in an office
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: công việc văn phòng
- Ví dụ: Disabled, he was offered a desk job for better pay.
7, to be your own boss/ to run your business/ to be self-employed
- Định nghĩa: not working for an employer but finding work for yourself or having your own business
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: có công việc kinh doanh của riêng mình/ tự làm chủ một doanh nghiệp
- Ví dụ: It has been my dream to be my own boss because I can do everything in my way if I run my own business.
8, freelancer /ˈfriː.lɑːn.sər/
- Định nghĩa: someone who is not employed by any one organization but does particular pieces of work for different organizations
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: người làm việc tự do
- Ví dụ: He’s been a freelancer for several years
Những điều mong muốn trong công việc
1, Job satisfaction /ˈdʒɒb sæt.ɪsˌfæk.ʃən/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: the feeling of pleasure and achievement that you experience in your job when you know that your work is worth doing, or the degree to which your work gives you this feeling
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: sự hài lòng với công việc
- Ví dụ: Many people are more interested in job satisfaction than in earning large amounts of money.
2, Career prospect /kəˈrɪə(r) prɒspekt/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: the probability or chance for future success in a professio
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: triển vọng công việc
- Ví dụ: Some have seen their career prospects harmed.
3, To be well-paid /ˌwel ˈpeɪd/ ~ To earn a high salary (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: earning or paying a lot of money
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: được trả lương cao
- Ví dụ: She was not well paid and found it difficult to provide for her family.
4, Holiday entitlement /ˈhɒlədeɪ ɪnˈtaɪtəlmənt/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: the number of days of paid holiday in a year that a worker is entitled to take
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: Số ngày nghỉ phép
- Ví dụ: Sadly, holiday entitlement is not the sort of thing politicians can get that worked up about.
5, Maternity leave /məˈtɜː.nə.ti ˌliːv/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a period in which a woman is legally allowed to be absent from work in the weeks before and after she gives birth
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nghỉ thai sản
- Ví dụ: The changes will affect any women on maternity leave or taking a career break while they raise children.
6, Sick leave /ˈsɪk ˌliːv/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: time away from work because of illness
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nghỉ ốm
- Ví dụ: Mark is not in the office today. He broke his leg yesterday, so he’s on/he’s taken sick leave.
7, Annual leave (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a paid number of days each year that an employee is allowed to be away from work
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: kỳ nghỉ hằng năm
- Ví dụ: She took annual leave to attend the day’s commemorations.
8, A retirement package (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a benefits package that companies offer employees to encourage them to leave their jobs
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: chế độ hưu trí
- Ví dụ: It takes their total retirement package to 26,000 – the average national salary – for a current wage of 29,000 a year.
9, A professional working environment (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: A workplace that maintains high standards of conduct, professionalism, and ethics.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: môi trường làm việc chuyên nghiệp
- Ví dụ: The company prides itself on providing a professional working environment where employees can thrive.
10, To move up the career ladder (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: get a better job or a promotion.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: thăng tiến trong sự nghiệp
- Ví dụ: With dedication and hard work, she was able to move up the career ladder from an entry-level position to a managerial role.
11, Flexible working hours (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: the schedule which allows employees to start and finish their workday when they want.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: thời gian làm việc linh hoạt
- Ví dụ: She appreciates having flexible working hours, as it allows her to balance work and personal commitments effectively.
12, Unemployment benefit /ʌn.ɪmˈplɔɪ.mənt ˌben.ɪ.fɪt/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: money that the government pays to unemployed people who are looking for a job
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: trợ cấp thất nghiệp
- Ví dụ: Figures showed that 50,000 people in the region were on unemployment benefit.
13, Holiday pay (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: any form of alternative compensation an employer offers employees during holidays.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: tiền lương ngày nghỉ
- Ví dụ: Employees receive holiday pay for the days they don’t work during official holidays.
14, Pension scheme /ˈpen.ʃən ˌskiːm/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a system for saving money for your retirement
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: chế độ lương hưu
- Ví dụ: He talked about the benefits of joining a company pension scheme.
15, Health insurance /ˈhelθ ɪnˌʃɔː.rəns/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: an arrangement in which you make regular payments to an insurance company in exchange for that company paying most or all of the costs of your medical care
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: bảo hiểm y tế
- Ví dụ: The consumer advisory council said all state residents should have health insurance.
16, Sick pay /ˈsɪk ˌpeɪ/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: money given by an employer to someone who cannot work because of illness
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: tiền lương ngày ốm
- Ví dụ: He was off work for three months with no sick pay.
17, Salary increase (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: an increase in the salary or pay given to an employee
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: sự tăng lương
- Ví dụ: Politicians are far from blameless for this so what gives them the right to claim big salary increases?
18, Subsidy /ˈsʌb.sɪ.di/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: money given as part of the cost of something, to help or encourage it to happen
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: tiền trợ cấp
- Ví dụ: The government is planning to abolish subsidies to farmers.
19, Annual bonus /ˈæn.ju.əl ˈbəʊ.nəs/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: an extra amount of money that is given to you as a present or reward for good work
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: thưởng thêm hàng năm
- Ví dụ: The annual bonus is calculated on the basis of the number of months worked in the factory.
20, A job–share /ˈdʒɒb.ʃeər/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a situation in which the duties and the pay of one job are divided between two people who work at different times during the day or week
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: chia sẻ giờ làm việc hàng tuần với người khác
- Ví dụ: We encourage job-shares and part-time working.
21, Job stability /ʤɒb stəˈbɪləti/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: the fact of an employee, or a group of employees, being able to keep the same job for a long time
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: sự ổn định công việc
- Ví dụ: There are certain industries that still offer long-term job stability.
22, Supportive work colleagues (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: people working in the same company who are always on the lookout for opportunities to recognize and build on the contributions of others
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: đồng nghiệp nhiệt tình hỗ trợ
- Ví dụ: She’s fortunate to have supportive work colleagues who are always willing to help and collaborate.
23, Hot-desking /ˌhɒtˈdes.kɪŋ/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a way of saving office space in which workers do not have their own desk and are only given a desk when they need it
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: linh hoạt chỗ ngồi làm việc
- Ví dụ: Hot-desking allows a company to have significantly smaller premises.
24, To do business with someone (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: to engage in commerce with
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: hợp tác làm ăn với ai đó
- Ví dụ: We intend to give you a key contact in each country if you choose to do business with us.
25, To qualify for something /ˈkwɒl.ɪ.faɪ/ (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: to successfully finish a training course so that you are able to do a job; to have or achieve the necessary skills, etc.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: đạt tiêu chuẩn cho công việc gì đó/được nhận vào công việc gì đó
- Ví dụ: She hopes to qualify as a teacher at the end of the year.
26, To take a career break (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a period of time when you choose not to have a job, for example, because you want to travel or take care of your children
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nghỉ việc một thời gian (sẽ quay lại)
- Ví dụ: I took a career break for a year and travelled around the world.
27, To take on leadership roles ≈ to be in leadership positions (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: one where you are in charge of a team or entire organization
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: tiếp quản cương vị lãnh đạo
- Ví dụ: Throughout his career, he has consistently shown his ability to take on leadership roles and inspire his team to excel.
28, To acquire experience/knowledge/skills (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: If you acquire something, you buy or obtain it for yourself, or someone gives it to you
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: có được kinh nghiệm, kỹ năng;
- Ví dụ: She actively seeks out opportunities to acquire experience, knowledge, and new skills through workshops and training programs.
29, To put knowledge gained into practice (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: taking what you have learned in your classes, through readings and experiences and showing the ability to apply it to a situation, problem, experience, or event
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: áp dụng kiến thức đã học vào thực tế
- Ví dụ: After completing his culinary course, he was eager to put the knowledge gained into practice by experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen.
30, To gain hands-on experience (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: knowledge or skill that someone gets from doing something rather than just reading about it or seeing it being done
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: có được trải nghiệm thực tế
- Ví dụ: They will participate in workshops and get hands-on experience leading classes.
Những điều không muốn trong công việc
1, A dead-end job /ˌded.end ˈdʒɒb/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a job in which there is no chance of progressing to a better, more important job
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: một công việc không có cơ hội để thăng tiế
- Ví dụ: Despite having a degree in journalism, he got stuck in a dead-end job at an insurance company
2, To be stuck behind a desk (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: to be unhappy in an office job
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: cảm giác không hài lòng với công việc văn phòng
- Ví dụ: Working full-time in an office can lead to being stuck behind a desk.
3, To be/get stuck in a rut (idiom)
- Định nghĩa: too fixed in one particular type of job, activity, method, etc., and needing to change
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: làm một công việc nhàm chán và khó để từ bỏ
- Ví dụ: I need to change jobs – after 15 years here I feel I’m stuck in a rut.
4, A busy work schedules (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a tightly packed or crowded set of tasks and activities to be completed within a specific timeframe.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: lịch làm việc dày đặc
- Ví dụ: Due to the upcoming project deadline, our team is currently facing busy work schedules, with meetings and tasks scheduled back-to-back.
5, To lay off staff (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: dismiss employees from their jobs, usually due to reasons such as downsizing, cost-cutting, or restructuring
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: sa thải nhân viên
- Ví dụ: The company had to lay off staff members in order to cope with the financial challenges brought about by the economic recession.
6, To suffer from various health issues (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: experience a range of different health problems or conditions.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: mắc các vấn đề về sức khỏe
- Ví dụ: Due to his sedentary lifestyle and poor diet, he has been suffering from various health issues, including obesity and hypertension.
7, Longer working hours/ the frequency of long working hours/ extended hours of work (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: spending more time than usual on work-related activities
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: làm việc trong nhiều giờ
- Ví dụ: The demand for the project was high, leading to working longer hours to meet the deadline, which resulted in exhausted employees.
8, To have no career ambitions (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: not having any strong desires or goals for advancement or success in one’s professional life.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: không có tham vọng trong sự nghiệp
- Ví dụ: She’s content with her current position and has no career ambitions beyond being a dedicated team member.
9, Job hopping (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: the practice of changing your job very often
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nhảy việc
- Ví dụ: Many graduates view job hopping as a quick way to develop their career at the start.
10, Low work productivity ≈ poor work performance (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: not achieving a satisfactory level of output or results in one’s work.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: hiệu suất làm việc thấp
- Ví dụ: The team’s low work productivity was attributed to a lack of clear goals and ineffective time management.
11, Anxiety disorders /æŋˈzaɪəti dɪsˈɔːdəz/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a type of mental health condition
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: Những rối loạn lo âu
- Ví dụ: Some common examples of anxiety disorders include generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and social anxiety disorder.
12, Labour-intensive (adjective) /ˌleɪ.bər.ɪnˈten.sɪv/
- Định nghĩa: industries and methods that are labour-intensive need a lot of workers
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: cần nhiều lao động
- Ví dụ: A lot of farming techniques have been abandoned because they were too labour-intensive.
Quy trình tuyển dụng – Recruitment process
1, job vacancy /ˈveɪ.kən.si/ (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: a space or place that is available to be used
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: vị trí công việc còn trống
- Ví dụ: The company has posted a job vacancy for a senior software developer to join their IT team.
2, job/ career fair (noun phrase)
- Định nghĩa: an event where employers and potential employees meet to discuss job opportunities and career prospects
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: buổi triển lãm việc làm
- Ví dụ: She attended the job fair to explore different career options and connect with potential employers.
3, to seek/ find out/ search for a job (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: actively looking for suitable employment opportunities.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: tìm kiếm việc làm
- Ví dụ: After graduating from college, she began to actively seek for a job in her field of study.
4, job recruitment /rɪˈkruːt.mənt/ (noun phrase) → to recruit (verb) – recruiter/ recruitee (noun)
- Định nghĩa: the process of finding people to work for a company or become a new member of an organization
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: tuyển dụng → (động từ) tuyển dụng – (danh từ) người tuyển dụng/ nhà ứng tuyển
- Ví dụ: The recession has forced a lot of companies to cut down on graduate recruitment.
5, to be called for an interview (verb phrase)
- Định nghĩa: receiving an invitation to participate in a job interview.
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: được mời tham dự một cuộc phỏng vấn
- Ví dụ: Although he has been called for an interview, he hasn’t got a job yet.
6, internship /ˈɪn.tɜːn.ʃɪp/ (noun)
- Định nghĩa: a period of training spent in a hospital by a young doctor in order to finish their medical qualification
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: thực tập
- Ví dụ: He served his internship at ABC Hospital.
7, on probation /prəˈbeɪ.ʃən/
- Định nghĩa: a period of time at the start of a new job when you are watched and tested to see if you are suitable for the job
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: trong thời gian thử việc
- Ví dụ: As a new employee, I will be on probation for three months.
8, apprenticeship /əˈpren.tɪs.ʃɪp/
- Định nghĩa: a period of time working as an apprentice
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: học việc
- Ví dụ: He is now serving an apprenticeship as a joiner.
Thành ngữ chủ đề công việc – Idioms about work
1, To get the sack
- Định nghĩa: to be fired or dismissed from work
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: bị đuổi việc
- Ví dụ: I’ll get the sack if I arrive at the office late!
2, To make ends meet
- Định nghĩa: not to get into debt
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: kiếm đủ tiền để trang trải cuộc sống
- Ví dụ: The widow and her four children found it difficult to make ends meet.
3, Bread and butter
- Định nghĩa: a job or activity that provides you with the money you need to live
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nguồn thu nhập chính
- Ví dụ: I do a lot of photography, but accounting is my bread and butter.
4, Run-of-the-mill /ˌrʌn.əv.ðəˈmɪl/
- Định nghĩa: ordinary and not special or exciting in any way
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: không có gì đặc sắc
- Ví dụ: He gave a fairly run-of-the-mill speech.
5, To go in with somebody
- Định nghĩa: to join with someone else to start a business or organization
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: thành lập doanh nghiệp
- Ví dụ: Ellie’s going in with a friend who’s just started a café.
6, To take early retirement
- Định nghĩa: the situation in which someone ends their working life before the usual age
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nghỉ hưu non
- Ví dụ: He took over his post in January 2006, when his predecessor took early retirement.
7, To have a long way to go
- Định nghĩa: a lot of work to do or improvements to make
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: còn nhiều thứ phải học/cải thiện
- Ví dụ: He has a long way to go before he can present the plans to the public.
8, To bring out the best (in sb)
- Định nghĩa: used to say that a person or thing helps one to use or show one’s best qualities
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: giúp cho ai bộc lộ những điểm tốt nhất của mình
- Ví dụ: Leaders who bring out the best in their teams set clear leadership intentions
9, To bring home the bacon
- Định nghĩa: to earn money for a family to live on
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: kiếm tiền cho gia đình
- Ví dụ: I can’t sit around all day – someone’s got to bring home the bacon.
10, To be snowed under (with something)
- Định nghĩa: having too much to do
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: bị vùi đầu trong công việc
- Ví dụ: I am totally snowed under at school
11, To sweat blood
- Định nghĩa: to make a great effort
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: nỗ lực
- Ví dụ: We sweated blood to get the work finished on time.
12, To learn/know the ropes
- Định nghĩa: to learn/know how to do a job or activity
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: học/ biết cách làm 1 việc/ 1 hoạt động
- Ví dụ: This job is difficult at first, but once you know the ropes, you will be
13, Movers and shakers /ˌmuː.vəz ən ˈʃeɪ.kəz/
- Định nghĩa: people with a lot of power and influence
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: người khôn ngoan và có thể làm mọi việc hiệu quả nhanh chóng
- Ví dụ: It’s a play that’s attracted the attention of the Broadway movers and shakers.
14, Practice makes perfect
- Định nghĩa: said to encourage someone to continue to do something many times, so that they will learn to do it very well
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: Có công mài sắt có ngày nên kim
- Ví dụ: Sports require practice and practice makes perfect.
15, To think outside the box
- Định nghĩa: to think imaginatively using new ideas instead of traditional or expected ideas
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: sáng tạo hơn, nghĩ vượt ra khỏi cách truyền thống
- Ví dụ: Starting up a business requires people to think outside the box
16, To burn the midnight oil
- Định nghĩa: to work late into the night
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: làm việc/ chạy deadline đến khuya
- Ví dụ: Doctors are known for burning the midnight oil to ensure that their patients receive the best possible care
17, Take up the post
- Định nghĩa: to start doing a new job or activity
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: bắt đầu làm việc
- Ví dụ: After being laid off, I went back to my old job and took up the post of editor of a leading fashion journal.
18, Desk jockey
- Định nghĩa: a person who works at a desk, usually in an office
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: một người chỉ ngồi trên ghế cả ngày làm việc và không năng động
- Ví dụ: I am tired of being a desk jockey. I think I need to find a new job.
19, Carve a niche for myself
- Định nghĩa: make a special position for myself
- Nghĩa Tiếng Việt: thành công và đạt được sự kính trọng trong một công việc, tạo được vị trí vững vàng
- Ví dụ: After graduating, I practiced medicine for a number of years in London. I managed to carve a niche for myself as a specialist in dermatology.
Trên đây là tổng hợp từ vựng về từ vựng chủ đề Work bạn cần biết. Hi vọng các kiến thức này, cũng như bộ tổng hợp từ vựng IELTS theo chủ đề sẽ giúp ích bạn trong quá trình ôn luyện.